The left is waging an all-out war on America right under the noses of conservatives, and we don’t even see it.
See, conservatives have this naive idea that our country is supposed to be governed through elected representatives as set forth in our Constitution.
That idea is so 1789.
The left gave up years ago on depending on winning elections to rule the country. For decades, they have been diligently, systematically, persistently, and, yes, patiently building beachheads throughout our country from which to seize control.
Public schools and universities, the news media, ethnic community leaders, courts, popular entertainment – everywhere we look we see the beachheads that the left first took over and now use to wage their war on America as founded.
Their goal is not to govern. It is to rule.
And they are winning.
Meanwhile, conservatives are doing exactly what we are always accused of doing – living in the past. We are still fighting the war that has been fought since the beginning of the republic, the political war waged in elections to determine who will govern in our representative democracy for the next few years.
What we are not doing is engaging in the war on any other front.
We’re always looking ahead to the next election. The left is always looking at the long game and going for an absolute, complete, and irreversible victory.
And so, because we conservatives have failed to see the war that has been being waged around us by the left for decades, the left has had a clear path to winning control of the news media, popular entertainment, public schools and universities, minority communities, etc.
Conservatives made no effort to engage on those fronts, and now they are lost to the left – utterly, completely, and very possibly irreversibly.
The only front on which we’ve had any success is the traditional electoral one, but that victory has been fleeting and pyrrhic. Although we won the presidency two years ago, the left held it for the prior eight years. And now that we do hold it, we are under fire from all of the other fronts controlled by the left and therefore are extremely limited in our ability to use it.
Think about it – In the sixteen months that Donald Trump has been president, he has gotten only one major piece of legislation through Congress (the tax bill).
And right after that, he signed the second-largest spending bill in human history, handing the left a gratuitous victory on a silver platter.
Although Trump had no history of being a conservative prior to running for president, he has been a pleasant surprise and has used his executive powers to the fullest to push a conservative agenda to the extent possible without going through Congress. But his executive actions can and will be wiped away as soon as a Democrat becomes president.
Ironically, Donald Trump currently is the only beachhead from which conservatives can and do fight back against the leftist onslaught.
Yes, the Republicans – supposedly America’s conservative party – has majorities in both houses of Congress. But these Republicans are not engaging in the fight against the leftist tide. In fact, these Republicans aren’t even conservatives in any meaningful sense of the word.
Republican “control” of Congress is a joke. They have accomplished nothing other than the tax bill to advance a conservative agenda or even to effectively oppose the leftists’ agenda. They always talk the right talk, but once elected, they couldn’t even repeal Obamacare – the one truly universal campaign promise that they made across the country – even with a president ready and eager to sign off on such a bill.
And yes, Republican appointees constitute a majority on the Supreme Court. But unlike the four Democrat appointees who almost never split in their efforts to advance a leftist policy agenda by judicial fiat, the conservatives split all the time. Justice Kennedy – appointed by the greatest and most principled conservative Republican president of the past century, Ronald Reagan – sides with the liberals almost half the time. And Chief Justice Roberts, appointed by Republican President George W. Bush, sided with the liberals in saving Obamacare from its own constitutional deficiencies – twice.
While conservatives have been content to sit around clipping our toenails, leftists have taken control of wide swathes of our country. The magnitude of their control of the culture of our country is mind-boggling – far bigger than most people, especially conservatives, realize:
* Almost the entire establishment news media is now the propaganda operation of the movement left, who uses it to wage an unrelenting 24/7 war on all things conservative and uniquely American.
* One single news organization managed to squeak through and provide a non-leftist point of view in its programming, and that made them the target of a relentless war by the entire left to put them out of business. Non-leftist points of view are not tolerated in today’s America and especially in today’s “news” media.
* The “news” media no longer seek out and report actual news. They now use their power and influence to craft narratives designed to make everyone believe that any ideas that don’t conform with leftist ideology are dangerous, radical, and bigoted.
* A more specific mission of today’s “news” media is to wage a 24/7 unrelenting war on the President of the United States by spreading disinformation crafted by the Democrats and the rest of the movement left, making up scandals out of whole cloth, and “reporting” on them non-stop, all while suppressing any reporting of his accomplishments. The goal of today’s “news” media is to hound our democratically elected president out of office.
* When people want an escape from “news” media propagandizing, they find no relief in popular entertainment media. Movies, television, and popular music all spread leftist propaganda designed to brainwash people into wrongly believing that most people share that leftist ideology and that they therefore should keep their non-leftist ideas unspoken for fear of being shunned and ostracized as an “extremist.”
* And any entertainer who dares utter a non-leftist political thought is blackballed in a modern McCarthyite culture that leaves his or her career irreparably destroyed.
* They have convinced the country that keeping schools under government (“public”) control is more important than ensuring a quality education. That’s why we see teachers across the country abandoning their students to go march for government-run education during scheduled school days, forcing the schools to close and leaving our kids without the education those teachers pledged to provide.
* Teachers in those government schools by and large are left-wing ideologues who are unafraid to use their position of authority over their captive audience of kids to indoctrinate them into their political ideology. It helps that they’ve been given a ready-made leftist “common core” curriculum to impose on our kids across the country.
* Schools are now largely under the control of teachers unions who use their power and influence to remove academic standards and policies that require student accountability, thereby ensuring that students are unmotivated, entitled, fragile, insulated, and utterly unprepared to take care of themselves in the world upon graduation.
* And all of these efforts by the left have succeeded. Now, over two-thirds of public school kids are not proficient in math, and 65% are not proficient with reading. An uneducated generation is a generation that will be dependent on government and a ready block of leftist voters for decades to come.
* American colleges and universities have been transformed by leftists from enclaves of academic and intellectual freedom and excellence to leftist indoctrination centers in which non-leftist thought is treated as intolerable and dangerous and which subject students to disciplinary action and reeducation. Even Kim Jong-un must be jealous.
* Students who once marched for free speech now engage in violence to prevent any non-leftist speakers from appearing on campuses and challenging their leftist ideas – in the name of “free speech.”
* Students are taught by their professors that conservatism is white supremacism and must be “resisted” – in the name of “tolerance.”
* At the same time, popular leaders of various ethnic communities continuously spread the hateful and defamatory idea that conservatives are all bigots who wish them harm.
* Those ethnic community leaders have largely succeeded in convincing their communities that law enforcement is their enemy and that they’re better off following race-baiting demagogues than trusting and cooperating with law enforcement.
* Those popular ethnic leaders have also succeeded in convincing vast majorities of people of color that they must blindly vote for Democrats – America’s leftist party – because the Republicans – nominally America’s conservative party – hates and wants to hurt, enslave, and kill them.
* These leftist race-baiting demagogues have been so successful with their unrelenting hateful disinformation campaign that millions of people of color ignore the fact that the very leftist ideologues to whom they have given their blind loyalty for decades have utterly destroyed their communities and left them living in squalor.
* This is one of the left’s most insidious victories because by so brainwashing their own communities, they have condemned them to the modern plantation of government dependency.
* In a similar vein, Jewish leaders influence Jews across the country to substitute leftism as their true religion, thereby diminishing and bastardizing the world’s first and foremost religion of ethical monotheism.
* And in yet another insidious victory, the left has succeeded in keeping Jews in the Democrat Party plantation even though it is now the modern home of antisemitism and is even co-chaired by a notorious lifelong antisemite.
* They use their resources to portray Christians as ignorant hicks and Christianity as passé at best but more generally outright oppressive.
* They use their vast resources to condescend to anyone who is so narrow-minded as to believe in God and an intelligent design to the universe and in fundamental principles of morality and decency.
* That same “Democratic” Party is now so powerful in its leftist arrogance that it has foregone democracy itself, denying even its own members any meaningful say in who their candidates will be or what their agenda will be. Those decisions are now made in (smoke-free) back rooms by movement leftist bosses.
* And the agenda of the once great and mainstream liberal “Democratic” Party is now one of radical leftism designed to usurp as much individual liberty as possible from the American people.
* But since the left has not yet succeeded in ending representative democracy in America, they hedge their bets by appointing leftist ideologue judges to impose by judicial fiat those policies that they cannot get passed by the elected representatives of the people.
* They use colleges, law schools, the news media, and even leftist ideologue Supreme Court justices to promote the idea that the Constitution is a “living breathing document,” thus rendering it meaningless and empowering left-wing judges to impose their policy preferences by judicial fiat.
* They’ve also managed to get appointed a politically-motivated “independent” counsel who has numerous conflicts of interest and has hired a prosecutorial team consisting entirely of partisan Democrats to investigate and persecute the Republican President of the United States and everyone close to him based on partisan allegations that are unsupported by any actual evidence as a means of interfering with his ability to govern.
* They’ve succeeded in getting millions of people to believe a psuedoscientific climate “theory” for which there is no credible evidence and that is impossible to to subject to scientific method to determine its legitimacy as a means of opposing capitalism and promoting socialism across the world.
* They’ve even largely succeeded in convincing people that any dissent from this “theory” should be treated as a criminal act to be punished by the government and censored from the public.
* Although all legitimate scientific evidence refutes this “theory” and leftists have succeeded in getting the government to skew its own data to get the political results they desire, they’ve convinced large numbers of people that “the debate is over” and that “deniers” are akin to those who deny the Holocaust.
* They’ve succeeded in using this pseudoscience to impose massive regulations on American business and industry that has suppressed economic growth and killed millions of jobs, thereby keeping more people dependent on government.
* They’ve convinced over 40% of millennials that socialism is a superior economic system to capitalism by hiding from them the millions of people who have been killed by socialist regimes and the millions of people who have been liberated and given unlimited opportunities by capitalist nations.
* They’ve successfully advanced the idea that expressing any non-leftist point of view is a form of bigotry that warrants boycotting and seeking to destroy anyone who dares do so.
* They’ve twisted and bastardized the language to create propaganda making it appear that they are the opposite of who they really are. For example, they have even conservatives referring to them as “progressives” even as the leftists work relentlessly to obstruct economic and technological progress.
* They use all of their vast resources to paint a caricature of conservatives as being everything that the leftists themselves actually are and conservatives are not: Hateful, bigoted, intolerant, ignorant, malicious, racist, and sexist.
* They use all of their vast resources to promote the idea that traditional family values are inherently racist and sexist and to cause chaos and decay of the American culture in every possible way.
* They use their massive resources to make people more dependent on government by attacking and seeking to usurp Americans’ fundamental right to keep and bear arms, portraying gun owners as ignorant and dangerous rednecks, and portraying the nation’s oldest civil rights organization as terrorists.
* They’ve worked relentlessly and largely successfully to have the government take over our health care system as a means of giving the government power over virtually every aspect of our lives.
* They’ve gone around the world apologizing for America’s alleged role in spreading oppression and seeking to weaken America’s standing and power in order to enable socialist and dictatorial countries to maximize their power and influence.
* They’ve educated millions of non-Americans on how to violate American laws and enter our country illegally and remain here illegally, and they are convincing millions of Americans that these illegal aliens should be made voting citizens.
* They are working to expand their voter base and dilute the value of conservative votes by granting the vote to violent felons, non-citizens, and even children.
* They have passed laws designed to regulate everything in our lives from what kind of shopping bags we can use to the size of cups of soda we can buy to how much water we can use in our toilets.
They did all of this without any meaningful opposition because we conservatives never understood that the fight for what kind of country we are is fought on more than just one electoral front.
I honestly don’t know whether it’s too late to take the country back or whether the left has already won. I fear that Rich Kelsey was right when he recently predicted a civil war over these fundamental and utterly incompatible philosophies.
The brilliance of representative democracy is that it allows the people to cause a revolution in their government without resorting to violence. If the electoral system is fair, we willingly accept the results even when we lose. We do so in part because we know we’ll have another chance, and another after that, to win it back.
But when representative democracy breaks down because the system has been corrupted, as the Democrats have done, or because the real control of the country is located in the cultural fronts rather than the governmental ones, then those who oppose the status quo are much more likely to resort to violence.
The fact is that we have already lost vast swathes of the country to the evil and oppression of leftism, and we are in grave danger of losing the rest before too long because the conservatives who should be fighting back aren’t doing so in any meaningful way.
So, is our great constitutional republic about to die because the conservatives who claim to be its committed defenders can’t even see that we’re already losing it?
Author: Ken Falkenstein
Ken Falkenstein is the Managing Editor of Committed Conservative and brings a wealth of experience and expertise in public affairs to the job. Ken served in the U.S. Army in the last years of the Cold War as a Russian linguist for military intelligence and the NSA. After leaving the Army, he earned his degree in Secondary Education from Old Dominion University, where he also wrote a popular column in the student newspaper.
Upon graduation, Ken worked as a Legislative Aide to two Republican members of the Virginia House of Delegates. Ken also served as Corresponding Secretary of the Young Republican Federation of Virginia, managed several successful political campaigns, and managed governmental affairs operations for a local Realtor association.
In 1995, Ken moved to Washington, DC to serve as a Legislative Assistant to Sen. John Warner (R-VA). While working for Sen. Warner, Ken attended law school at night, earning his J.D. with honors from the George Mason University School of Law (n/k/a The Antonin Scalia Law School). Since that time, Ken has practiced as a civil litigation attorney, including serving for three years as an Associate City Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Ken previously was a contributor to the highly-regarded political blog Bearing Drift and was a weekly co-host of The Steve Batton Radio Program. In 2016, Ken ran unsuccessfully for the Virginia Beach School Board. Ken is also a former President of the Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads.
Ken now lives outside of Denver, Colorado with his wife, Kim, and three sons, Adam, Dylan, and Joshua, who has Down syndrome. Ken’s writing is motivated and informed primarily by his concern for his kids’ future.