The left is no longer the loyal opposition. They are now in a full-scale jihad against our country.
It is important to distinguish between opposition and terrorism. Loyal Americans may rightfully oppose the policies of an incumbent administration in any number of lawful and peaceful ways. Our Constitution was specifically crafted to give a voice to dissenters and enable them, if convincing enough, to effect revolution through peaceful and lawful means.
Those who resort to violence and other illegal means, however, are not engaging in loyal opposition and protest. They are engaging in terrorism.
The left in this country is not engaging in loyal and peaceful opposition and protest. They are engaging in terrorism.
Furthermore, their terrorist actions are not specific to the Trump administration. The left has been promoting an aggressive agenda of oppression and tyranny for many years, but until recent weeks they did so mostly through peaceful and appropriate means. Donald Trump has now provided them with the foil they needed as a pretext for expanding into all-out war on our country and its foundational principles.
- Leftists rioted and engaged in other acts of domestic terrorism during Donald Trump’s inauguration.
- Leftist terrorists violently blocked the new Secretary of Education from visiting a school in the District of Columbia.
- Leftists pressure and terrorize businesses and communities into boycotting not only Trump-affiliated businesses but any business or person who so much as utters a positive word about Trump or his administration.
- Leftist-governed cities across the country are designating themselves as “sanctuaries” where they openly defy federal law enforcement who are working to enforce our immigration laws.
- A holdover acting attorney general instructed the entire Department of Justice to defy the incumbent president.
- The entire establishment “news” media have engaged in a deliberate and persistent campaign of disinformation designed to delegitimize the incumbent president and his administration.
- The left controls most of American academia and has created environments on college campuses that deem any non-leftist views to be punishable “hate speech.” Those expressing conservative views are to be “counseled” and “re-educated.”
- When a college occasionally attempts to engage in ideological diversity by inviting a conservative to speak on campus, the leftist faculty and students break out into violent riots – not to express opposition, but to silence those voices.
- George Soros is funding no less than 187 organizations designed to attack the Trump administration. It is these organizations that have orchestrated most of the aforesaid riots and other acts of violent opposition (i.e. domestic terrorism).
- Hollywood, where 60 years ago anyone suspected of having ties to the Communist Party was persecuted, now persecutes anyone suspected of having ties to the Republican Party. Express any non-leftist opinion or support any Republican candidate in Hollywood and you are blacklisted. Your career is over.
- Former President Obama has defied tradition and remained in Washington, where is he actively running an organization designed to undermine his successor.
- Scientists and others who are skeptical of the theory of man-made global warming are branded as being akin to Holocaust deniers and silenced with threats against their funding and reputations while the public is fed disinformation designed to make us believe the disproven assertion that over 90% of scientists believe this theory and that “the debate is over.”
- Activist judges enjoined the president from exercising an inherent presidential power to regulate immigration that every president since the beginning of the Republic has exercised freely to protect the country and our people.
- Liberal Justices of the Supreme Court resort to citing laws from other countries to reach conclusions (i.e. impose judge-made laws) that cannot be supported under the Constitution and laws of the United States.
- Self-righteous leftist celebrities hijack every awards show to deliver self-righteous speeches condemning all Republicans as racists and bigots.
- Senate Democrats are refusing to do their jobs rather than accept the results of the election and allowing the Senate to confirm the new president’s cabinet choices.
- Leftists organized a “women’s march” in Washington consisting of women wearing costumes of their genitalia and having young girls display signs referring to theirs.
- Leftists demonstrating against a pipeline in the Midwest on environmental grounds left tons of trash in their wake.
I could go on, but the point is that the left is not engaging in peaceful demonstrations and other legitimate means of loyal opposition. They are engaging in full-scale jihad to stop the current president and his administration from governing and to silence all dissent to their agenda.
When opponents of an incumbent government use violence and other illegal means to attempt to take power from that government, it is called a coup d’etat.
The coordinated actions of the left, taken together, constitute an attempted coup d’etat against the government of the United States of America.
To be clear, the left’s war is not against Trump personally or against conservatives or Republicans. They are at war against America itself. Their actions are designed to stop the government duly elected by the American people from governing and to oppress anyone with views different from their own as apostates to be shunned and destroyed by stripping them of their basic human (and constitutional) rights.
The question now is whether our government will recognize that war has been declared on it by the left and will act to counter it.
I recently wrote that we are not on the verge of civil war, as some have asserted, because the vast majority of people are not part of the effort to attack our country and its foundational principles. I stand by that statement. The left is loud but not numerous or strong. Their terrorist and illegal actions can be thwarted with relatively little effort that will not come anywhere near the level of a civil war.
But that effort has to be made.
We can no longer tolerate the left using terrorism to stop conservatives from speaking or to stop the president and his cabinet secretaries from doing their jobs. We can no longer tolerate city governments acting in open defiance of the law. If localities won’t obey and enforce the law and arrest and prosecute domestic terrorists and other law-breakers, then the president should nationalize the National Guard and do it himself.
Again, we must vociferously protect the right of people to dissent through peaceful and legal means. I am not calling for martial law. I am calling for enforcement and protection of our Constitution and of our representative democracy from the leftists who are acting to destroy them.
We must no longer tolerate a violent leftist jihad being effected against our government and our people.
Author: Ken Falkenstein
Ken Falkenstein is the Managing Editor of Committed Conservative and brings a wealth of experience and expertise in public affairs to the job. Ken served in the U.S. Army in the last years of the Cold War as a Russian linguist for military intelligence and the NSA. After leaving the Army, he earned his degree in Secondary Education from Old Dominion University, where he also wrote a popular column in the student newspaper.
Upon graduation, Ken worked as a Legislative Aide to two Republican members of the Virginia House of Delegates. Ken also served as Corresponding Secretary of the Young Republican Federation of Virginia, managed several successful political campaigns, and managed governmental affairs operations for a local Realtor association.
In 1995, Ken moved to Washington, DC to serve as a Legislative Assistant to Sen. John Warner (R-VA). While working for Sen. Warner, Ken attended law school at night, earning his J.D. with honors from the George Mason University School of Law (n/k/a The Antonin Scalia Law School). Since that time, Ken has practiced as a civil litigation attorney, including serving for three years as an Associate City Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, Virginia.
Ken previously was a contributor to the highly-regarded political blog Bearing Drift and was a weekly co-host of The Steve Batton Radio Program. In 2016, Ken ran unsuccessfully for the Virginia Beach School Board. Ken is also a former President of the Down Syndrome Association of Hampton Roads.
Ken now lives outside of Denver, Colorado with his wife, Kim, and three sons, Adam, Dylan, and Joshua, who has Down syndrome. Ken’s writing is motivated and informed primarily by his concern for his kids’ future.